Shan party welcomes Gambari visit
UN special envoy Ibrahim Gambari’s first visit in 2009 and 7th since his appointment in 2006 was welcomed by Burma’s second largest party Shan Nationalities League for Democracy (SNLD).
1 February 2009
A statement issued by its secretariat yesterday, 31 January, just before his arrival in Rangoon also renewed calls:
- For a Tripartite Dialogue, between
- the National League for Democracy (NLD)
- the ethnic parties as represented by the United Nationalities Alliance (UNA) and others
- Release of all political prisoners including Aung San Suu Kyi, the SNLD’s leader Khun Tun Oo and others and
- A forum where all “appropriate” individuals and movements can freely participate in “the Panglong Spirit”
The Panglong Conference in 1947 which united Burma with the rest of British Frontier Areas had guaranteed Autonomy, Democracy and Human Rights.
The SNLD which won the most seats in Shan State in the 1990 elections has been hard hit by the arrest and imprisonment of its top leaders in 2005.