Non-ceasefire Wa elects new leadership
The Wa National Organization, a non-ceasefire Wa group based on the Thai-Burma border, opposite Maehongson, has elected a new leadership to fill up the vacuum left by Maha Hsang, who died last October.
The new line up includes:
- Lt-Col Teuk Merng Chairman
- Maj Ta Ploy Vice Chairman
- Capt Ta Ai Nyunt General Secretary
According to the statement issued following the meeting yesterday, the group would continue striving for:
- National unity
- Over throw of the SPDC dictatorship
- Narcotics suppression and
- Peaceful resolution of Burma’s political problems
No further details were provided.
The WNO, the political arm of the Wa National Army (WNA), was founded by Maha Hsang, a scion of the Wiang Ngeun Wa principality, in 1974. It is a member of the National Democratic Front (NDF).