SSA-N leader denied eye treatment
The leader of the Shan State Army (SSA) North and Chairman of the Shan State Peace Council, Maj-Gen Hso Ten, who had received 106 year jail sentences on 3 November 2005 along with other elected Shan leaders, has been suffering from eye problem, but he was denied eye check, according to the Shan Nationalities League for Democracy (SNLD), the party that won the 1990 elections in Shan state.
Hseng Khio Fah
30 August 2008
“He can’t clarify even red and green color,” said Sai Lake, the SNLD spokesperson.
There is no response from the junta authorities even after the family has applied to jail warden many times to have his eyes operated, he told SHAN.
“We [SNLD] also sent a letter to the authorities for his medical treatment. We are worried, his eyes might go completely blind.”
Maj-Gen Hso Ten
meantime, other elected Shan leaders Hkun Htun Oo, Sai Nyunt Lwin, Sai Nyi Nyi
Moe, Sai Myo Min Htun, Sai Tun Nyo, and Sai Hla Aung were also refused medical
treatment, according to Sai
The said Shan leaders were arrested for defamation of the state, association with illegal parties and conspiracy against the state. Those were separately imprisoned.
- Maj-Gen Hso Ten 106 years Khamti prison
- Khun Tun Oo (Hkun Htun Oo) 93 years Putao prison
- Sai Nyunt Lwin, 85 years Kalay, Sagaing division.
- Sai Hla Aung 79 years Kyaukphyu prison
- U Myint Than 79 years Sandoway prison (died on 2 May 2006)
- U Tun Nyo 79 years Buthidaung prison
- U Nyi Nyi Moe 79 years Pakokku prison
- Sai Myo Win Tun 79 years Myingyan prison
- Sao Tha Oo 12 years Released
Khun Tun Oo’s brother, Sao Oo Kya, was also sentenced to 13 years in prison.